Location The Ek Pioneer Log House is located in downtown Ogema at W4960 Holmes Street.
History This hand-hewn log house was built by Swedish immigrants Lars and Charlotta Ek around 1889 on land purchased from the Wisconsin Railway Company. Lars and Charlotta Ek were born in Sweden and immigrated to America in 1875, settling first in Chicago. After buying the land in Ogema, WI, they traveled from Chicago to Merrill by train. Unable to get transportation from Merrill to Ogema, the family walked the distance and carried their belongings. The house was built of hewn logs with two doors, three windows, and a shingle roof and was furnished with 1 cook stove, utensils and dishes, heating stove, 2 tables, 6 chairs, beds and bedding, 1 sewing machine, 2 clocks and sofa. The original tract of land cost $250.00 and the deed was signed by President Benjamin Harrison. The Eks' daughter Louise and her husband, Henry Olson, and their children lived in the home after them, as did their son Harold with his family. The Ogema Historical Society, officially organized in 1975, first opened the log house for Ogema’s centennial and the country’s bicentennial celebration in 1976.
The log house is only open to the public one day a year, the last Saturday in September during the Christmas Tree Festival. For more information, contact Shirley Cress (great-granddaughter of Lars & Charlotta Ek) 715-339-4406.