When To Report An Accident

Any accident must be reported when it results in:

  • Injury or death of a person.
  • $1,000 or more total damage to property owned by any one person.
  • Damages of $200 or more to government property (except motor vehicles).
Call the Sheriff's Office or appropriate Police Department immediately. We will report the accident for you. If we cannot file the report, you will need to complete a Wisconsin Driver Report of Accident form. This form is completed online at:


As of January 1, 2017, the Wisconsin DOT no longer accepts any paper driver report of accident forms. The accident report MUST be completed online. 

Accident Entries On Your Driver Record
Regardless of fault, accidents appear on the driver record of all drivers involved in a reportable accident.

The driver record only shows involvement in an accident on a specific date, the severity, and the county of occurrence. It does not show who was at fault.

Insurance companies secure from your driver record and other sources to determine if any claims have been paid out under your policy.

You can obtain an official copy of your driver record through the Wisconsin Department of Transportation DMV. There is a $5 fee for each record requested.

Request A Copy Of An Accident Report

To request a copy of an accident report, you must know the date of the accident and the name of one of the drivers involved or the Crash Document Number or DOT Accident Number. You can request a copy here.

Please note that if you are an involved party in an accident and are requesting an accident report from us, you will only be provided with your information. Per the Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994, information on the other driver must be redacted. If you require an unredacted copy, you may purchase one through the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. For more information on obtaining a report through the Wisconsin Department of Transportation click here. If you are a representative from an insurance company or an attorney representing one of the parties involved in the accident, you will be provided with an unredacted copy of the accident report.