Fifield Fire Tower is located at W5630 State Highway 70. From Fifield, take Hwy 70 east 5 miles to the Wintergreen Trailhead parking area. Parking fee or national forest park pass required.
About the Fifield Fire Tower
The Fifield Tower was constructed in 1932, a time when wildfires raged across the cutover landscape of northern Wisconsin. It served as an observation point, staffed by lookouts, that was part of a broader fire detection and suppression system. In the past, there were as many as 38 towers within the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, though today only a few remain standing. The Forest Service is committed to the preservation of this tower, and it is one of two that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Oral History Project
As a means of recording historical events that relate to the tower, the Forest Service recently completed an oral history project. The oral history features the stories of two early fire lookouts from Fifield, a brother and sister, Manny Stein and Betty (Stein) Murnik. Interpretive panels have been developed and placed onsite that tell the story of the Fifield Tower.
The tower is a short hike, 250 yards, from the Wintergreen Trailhead parking lot. The trailhead serves Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest visitors who use the area trails for a variety of recreational activities including hiking, mtn. biking, horseback riding, ATVing, UTVing, off-road motorcycling, cross county skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling. The trailhead has ample parking, there is a chalet, drinking water and rustic toilets. A parking fee or national forest sticker is required. Contact the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest for more information at 715-762-2461.